Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Confession Time

Although I'm a subscriber to a spiritual belief system today that doesn't have any neat label, in my youth, I was raised in a large Irish Catholic family. The nuns, the Latin, the stand-up-sit-down pew liturgy, the rosary, the confessional - all of these elements have been embedded in me. So like the nun with some racy lingerie peeking through her habit, I have a confession to make today. I am a professional organizer that - gasp - has an extremely DISorganized problem.

Since starting my business I have not updated my financial statements and have no clear idea of where my business stands. I share this information with you in hopes that you will define your own fear and face it head on like I did today!

I believe that when there is fear in our life, we tend to avoid it like the plague until it becomes the elephant in the room that can no longer be ignored. For most of my life I have had a fear of money. I witnessed my parents struggle to raise me and my siblings. Now today I continue to live paycheck to paycheck not because I have to, but because it's all I've ever known. Today I faced my fear and spent the entire day reviewing and updating my finances. During the process, my stomach was knotted and my anxiety level was high. However, I faced my fear and got through it. Now I have a clear idea of where me and my business stand. Whatever your fear is, please take a moment to think about one thing you can do today to face that fear. Like me, is it finally looking at how you spend your money? Or is it a fear of failure that continues to hinder you from moving forward in your career? Or maybe your fear of being vulnerable has prevented you from having deep personal relationships? Take a moment to shine a light in that corner you've been avoiding. Sometimes it's not as scary as you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment