Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Mighty Brain Purge


Every Wednesday I post on clutter. Usually it will be on physical clutter but today it's about mind clutter - the gunk that is clogging our brains.

I've read that we only use 5% of our brain capacity (I have met people that only use 2% but that is another topic!). I cannot believe that this little teensy 5% has the power to do so much. While I certainly will continue to strive to tap into the rest of that 95%, until that day comes, I am going to try to maximize the 5% that I do use. One tool I use on a regular basis is the mind purge. Our brains have the awesome power to hold so much - a sponge that seems to soak up more and more information. However, some of this information is better to release than to waste up any of that dear 5%.

Let's take an example. Why do we remember that we need to cat food AFTER we get home from the store? Why didn't our brain remind us while we were AT the store? We all get those random reminders, our synapses firing at the most inopportune times. Rather than rely on the not-so-reliable timing of the brain, write down these thoughts. Make a list of every possible thing you can think of that you have/want to do. Keep a small notebook with you at all times, or if you are a techno guru, have your PDA on hand. Jot down these thoughts as they come to you - because we all know that going back to the store for the cat food is not fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment